Monday, September 19, 2011

Oiling Apparatus

In my last post I ended stating that I should probably do another test on a copper board to test my depth of cut (so I know how wide my isolation paths will be). I did that test. I either broke the tip or severely dulled it because I can't get any clean lines with it now. This is a 5 dollar Dremel conical cutting bit (HSS). I figured it was worth a try. I decided to order a proper 0.015" end mill in carbide. I also ordered a 1/6" bit. I've got an 1/8" and 3/8" so that gives me a good amount of flexibility.

I also ordered all the electronic components for the 2 PCB boards. While I'm waiting for all the stuff to come in, I thought I'd take care of a maintenance problem. The Y lead screw and ways are super easy to oil. The X is very difficult. It's all underneath the table so hard to see, plus gravity pulls the oil down so you have to get it above the part to be oiled. So I made a simple oiling tool. I picked up a cheap "rear view extension" mirror for a car and liberated it from the mounting system:


I also got some tubing with 1/6" ID:


This is a "variety pack" - it's got 2 items in it both with 1/16" ID but different ODs. Anyway. I made a "wand" out of 14ga house wire. I put some heat-shrink tube around the end to hold the tube to the wand. Another piece of heat-shrink at the other end of the tube made for a nice adaptor for the oil can. Here's a pic of it all on the workbench:


I'm a capable photographer, but I'm finding many of my shop pics are looking rather crappy. Like many, this has some focus problems. You can see the mirror under the X/Y table showing the X lead screw and ways. I'm holding the wand in the lower left. That's the oil can that says "oil" on it. I hold the oil in one hand, wand in the other, then gain a boatload of appreciation for my dental hygienist that can do fine manipulations in a mirror. I dumped way too much oil on the system the first time, but better than too little.

I also started work on my halloween costume. Here's the goal:





No comments:

Post a Comment