Monday, January 21, 2013

Logo rework, prep for 3D

For my next project I'm working on a 3D version of the Kung Fu Machinist logo. I've added the typography to the sun and bird image. I bounced some ideas off a friend who's a much better designer than me. He helped me focus my ideas for integrating the type with the form. Here's the color 2D design with the type:


Here, kungfumachinist is all one word. My blog title is Kung Fu Machinist, but I seem to have grown attached to the idea of it being all one word. I definitely like it in all caps. My goal was to have it look like drafting lettering.

Here's the 3D concept:


The bird will be black and the base raw aluminum. The sun will be aluminum, too, painted in a transparent cherry red acrylic. I did a test of the painting and engraving of the lettering. When it first came off the mill, I wasn't terribly impressed. There seemed to be some rough edges in the path. I carefully cleaned off the chips and cutting fluid and looked at it with a magnifying glass. The technique I used to generate the lettering had the paths all doubled so each was cut twice. Also the paths didn't seem to be linked in the most efficient way. I suspected these 2 things contributed to the apparent rough points in the path. But then... I grabbed a tooth brush and scrubbed the lettering and all that ugly stuff disappeared!


I think the actual part looks better than this photo. Obviously I didn't paint the whole region. I left room on the scrap part for another practice run. You can see some "balls" at the ends of some of the lines. I'm not sure if these are entry or exit wounds, so to speak. I'm going to take a shot at removing the double-stroking of the paths. I think that will contribute to an overall cleaner cut.


No comments:

Post a Comment