Sunday, May 8, 2011

First Tool Path Run

I spent the last week or two working on the communication layer between the host and microcontroller. I explained the simple protocol in the last post, just 2 numbers, a command and an argument. I fleshed out both sides so it's now pretty easy to insert new commands and responses. The firmware side was already able to process a series of moves from the buffer. I built the host side of the same process. Back in December I posted this picture from the host path simulator:


I successfully ran this tool path from the host all the way to the stepper motors! That's pretty cool. The speed is arbitrary, there is no acceleration aside from the smooth start from zero to some moderate speed. The next step is to work over the host software and apply the acceleration/speed control algorithm. This seems like it's going to feel like work. Hopefully it will all work out in code the way the formula appears in writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment